Homefront movie
7.25 out of 10
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire movie
8.75 out of 10
Disney's Frozen movie
10.0 out of 10
Delivery Man movie
6.75 out of 10
Thor
8.25 out of 10

Monday, November 30, 2009

Ninja Assassin

The Best Ninja Movie Since... American Ninja 3!
[Rain, Naomie Harris, Ben Miles]

I was away for the Thanksgiving holiday so I was unable to get to the theatre until the following weekend. A close friend did advise me that while I was gobbling down turkey and mashed potatoes, she and her daughter went to see "Pirate Radio" and enjoyed it very much. With the star power of the cast, I would agree with her assessment without seeing the film yet.

SYNOPSIS A young orphan is schooled in the ways of the ninja until he turns on his masters. On the run and fighting against a host of assassins, can he possibly survive? 

Feeling bloated with excess pumpkin pie, the last thing I needed was to see Rain's perfect physique and martial art skills. But I wanted to see a kicking ass movie which are more seldom in the Winter months. Its the same old story... orphan trained from childhood as a ninja assassin killing machine... orphan grows up and finds love with the master's daughter... girl leaves... boy realizes being a killing machine isn't what it is cracked up to be...etc. We've seen it a thousand times! 

The acting is so-so, but that is not really why we go to to ninja and kung-fu movies.  Some of the fighting scene are well-choreographed and enhanced with some special effects and a lot of stylized blood and dismemberment. 

If I want emotion I will watch "The Karate Kid. If I want cinematic excellence I will watch "The House of Flying Daggers".  If I want to spend my movie money needlessly I will watch "Ninja Assassin".

Worth: Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment