Homefront movie
7.25 out of 10
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire movie
8.75 out of 10
Disney's Frozen movie
10.0 out of 10
Delivery Man movie
6.75 out of 10
Thor
8.25 out of 10

Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Impossible


DRAMA | THRILLER

Struggling to Survive

★ ★ ★ ★ 1/2 out of 5 | Movie - DVD - Rental

Rated: PG-13 Disturbing injury images, brief nudity and intense realistic disaster sequences.
Release Date: January 4, 2013
Runtime: 1 hour 43 minutes

Director: Juan Antonio Bayona
Writers: Sergio G. Sánchez, María Belón
Cast: Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor, Tom Holland, Samuel Joslin, Oaklee Pendergast, Sonke Mohring, Johan Sundberg



SYNOPSIS: An account of a family caught, with tens of thousands of strangers, in the mayhem of a tsunami wave that hit the pacific coast of Thailand on December 26th, 2004.

REVIEW: Juan Antonio Bayona, most known to American audiences as the director of the Guillermo del Toro produced The Orphanage, takes on a disaster/thriller of another sort. Bayona reteams with The Orphanage writer Sergio G. Sánchez and newcomer scribe María Belón to face down a monstrous natural disaster from the perspective of a couple and their three young boys.
Maria Bennett (Naomi Watts, Dream House), her husband Henry (Ewan McGregor, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen), and their three sons Lucas (Tom Holland, voice - The Secret World of Arrietty), Thomas (Samuel Joslin), and Simon (Oaklee Pendergast) take a winter vacation in Khao Lak, Thailand for the Christmas holiday. Spending a couple days in a wonderful island resort swimming in the pools, snorkeling in the ocean, and playing on the beaches, their vacations seems idyllic. When a tsunami wave suddenly crashes into the coast and surges inland, the Bennett family are swept away in the wave away from each other. What comes next is a harrowing experience of survival of the body and spirit as each surviving member of the family must make sense of their new deconstructed surroundings - all the while struggling to stay alive and struggling to find out the fate of their loved ones.

In December of 2004, the Pacific Ocean erupted with destructive force, sending to shore a true life massive powerful tsunami wave to nearby Pacific Rim coastlines. Regardless of whether one lived in a shack or a newly constructed villa resort hotel, no one was safe or sheltered from the deadly slam of water that destroyed property, landscapes, and lives. The story of the Bennett family is just one of a thousand stories that affected real people living in Thailand and throughout the Rim.

Naomi Watts delivers a powerful performance as Maria, a mother desperate to survive her injuries and try to find a way to reunite with her family. After such a traumatic and unexpected event, who can one person do against such overwhelming odds? Her acting experience and talent is a tour de force equal to what nature has crashed into her character and her family. Watts' performance is nearly matched by that of young Tom Holland, Maria's oldest son Lucas in the film. His portrayal is raw and real, becoming more an anchor to the story than Watts or McGregor. The film really is the journey of a young boy becoming more than a boy.

Bayona's direction is riveting, part art house, part epic. He and Oscar Fuara (The Machinist) make every shot or sequence exquisite. From the way the warming sunlight dances through the ruined trees or shimmering off the same receding waters that caused the devastation. Extreme "pull-back" camera work shows the insignificance of man versus the immensity of the world itself. Add in Fernando Velázquez's (Mama) subtle, eerie, and haunting score, and the stage is set for a phenomenal, emotional, and moving family portrait.

The Impossible is a spectacularly personal account of real and tragic events. The film is moving and emotional, focusing on a family's perseverance stands against the insurmountable forces of nature.


5 comments:

  1. Loved the movie! Amazing story and portrayed very well through the story and acting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resolve Your Marriage Issues With The Help Of Prophet Ayelala..

      GREETINGS everyone.. My name is Sarah Gomez FROM CANADA i will never forget the help Prophet Ayelala rendered to me in my marital life. i have been married for 5 years now and my husband and i love each other very dearly, after 3 years of our marriage my husband suddenly change he was having an affair with a lady outside, i notice it then i was praying for divine intervention the thing became more serious i told my pastor about it we prayed but nothing happened. My husband came home one day he pick up his things and left me and the kids to his mistress, at this time i was confuse not knowing what to do again because i have lost my husband and my marriage too. I was searching for help in the internet, i saw many people sharing testimony on how Prophet Ayelala help them out with their marital problems so i contacted the email of Prophet Ayelala i told him my problem and i was told to be calm that i have come to the right place were i can get back my husband within the next 24hours. He told me what went wrong with my husband and how it happened that he will restore my marriage and to my greatest surprise my husband came to my office begging me on his knees that i should find a place in my heart to forgive him, that he will never cheat on me again. I quickly ask him up that i have forgiven him, friends your case is not too hard why don't you give Prophet Ayelala a try because i know he is a Godsent. I thankgod for using Prophet Ayelala to save my marriage. Contact him via Email: ( Ayelala7demons@gmail.com ) Or Reach him on whats-app: +2348069132476 and live a happy life.

      Delete
  2. i'll get a copy of this movie.

    www.joeydavila.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. after doing some reading of this article, i feel like i can't wait to read more of your work and also make sure i added you to my bookmark so i can go back later.

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am Sarah Karrie from United State, I am so proud and happy to be out here sharing this remarkable, awesome and extraordinary review of your work Dr Bola. I just can't believe this now my ex lover is really back to me today October 14th,my love Karrie was knees presenting begging me to take him back and he was feeling regretful and sorry for leaving me and for causing me pains after the left me which was 3 year ago.on a faithful day i was browse looking for solution on line, i saw so many testimonial about Dr Bola on wix.com how he help so many people to restore relationship back,After reading all these, I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 24 hours, my ex lover came back to me. We resolved our issues, and we are even happier than ever.Dr.Bola you are a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man. If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster,Try him anytime, he is the answer to your problems. you can contact him on drbolaspellcaster@hotmail.com his telephone number +2348059723809,i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with Karrie my love,Thanks for Dr.Dr Bola His email:drbolaspellcaster@gmail.com..

    ReplyDelete