Homefront movie
7.25 out of 10
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire movie
8.75 out of 10
Disney's Frozen movie
10.0 out of 10
Delivery Man movie
6.75 out of 10
Thor
8.25 out of 10

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Disney's The Princess and the Frog

Flavor of Orleans
[Anika Noni Rose, Bruno Campos, Keith David]

SYNOPSIS The classic frog prince fairy tale is given a modern twist set in Jazz Age-era New Orleans.

I almost didn't make the movies this rainy Sunday morning. Well, that is an exaggeration. I should say I almost missed the trailers - which, in a way, is missing the movies. I had to jump the rail to get a nice center seat and to avoid having to scoot pass the already sitting parents and their kids.

Disney brings their craft to the screen again with their latest adaptation of a classic tale. Most decidedly two dimensional, Disney uses it vast talent to remind us that depth is not a only defined by computer wizardry and CGI.  I could not figure out why I was a little disappointed in the look of the film as the movie started, but I realized that I have just become spoiled with high end Pixar and Dreamworks animations. Once I got over myself, I enjoyed the tremendous craftsmanship that Disney put into "...Frog". But the cinematography is only part of the story.

Story is the other part. Modernizing the frog prince tale to a early twentieth century New Orleans locale allows not only for the telling of Prince Naveen as the charismatic, but arrogant prince turned into a frog by a local greedy voodoo man who can only be turned human again by the kiss of a princess, but also allows for the city, bayou, citizens and wildlife to be its own story to be told. 

Funny, sassy, thoughtful with a pinch of  sadness, this movie is another movie to add to the grand canon of Disney cartoons.

Worth: Matinee or DVD

No comments:

Post a Comment